Powerbags are sacs, look like small punching bags with customized handles at various positions. Thus handling and execution is much more easy for a variety of exercises. The sand inside them, causes an instability during the execution of exercise. This improves neuromuscular coordination. Powerbags are available in a number of different weights and sizes for any level of physical condition.
The following exercise, imitates a movement performed by a woodcutter during cutting wood. It is a functional movement and a core and back strengthener with a twist. It combines explosiveness and swing at the same time.Concentration, control and proper technique are necessary during its execution.
Start in an upright position; follow the steps from 1 to 4:
1. Legs are a little opened than shoulder-width apart.
Feet are in a diagonal position and knees are in the same direction as toes.
Keep your torso straight while you hold powerbag from two vertical central handles
Keep your arms outstretched , above and behind the head
2. Inhale and during exhalation you begin to lower the powerbag(keeping the arms outstretched) rotating it so it passes between your legs in a vertical position. Bend your legs “explosively” during the downward movement.
3. When the bag pass beneath feet, inhale give a push with feet and come to the starting position following the same route.
4. Repeat on the other side
Points you need to pay attention at :
- Keep your torso straight with the chest open during exercise.
- Powerbag follows an orbital motion while keeping the center of gravity on your legs.
- Bend your legs “explosively” during the downward movement.
- Control the upward movement for your shoulders protection.
- Inhale on the upward movement and exhale on the downward movement.
- This exercise is suitable for intermediate and advanced trainees. Increase the powerbag weight if you execute the exercise properly.
Grigoris Dogas, Personal Trainer, Seminar lecturer, AthensTrainers® Associate