Watermelon is a delicious and refreshing fruit that’s also good for you. It contains only 46 calories per cup but is high in vitamin C, vitamin A and many healthy plant compounds.
Here are the top some health benefits of eating watermelon:
- It has a high water content. This makes it hydrating and helps you feel full.
- It is a low-calorie fruit high in some nutrients, especially carotenoids, vitamin C and cucurbitacin E.
- It has several heart-healthy components, including lycopene, citrulline and other vitamins and minerals.
- Lycopene and vitamin C are anti-inflammatory antioxidants found in watermelon. Inflammation is linked to many chronic diseases. Lycopene may also help keep eyes healthy and protect against age-related macular degeneration (AMD) thanks to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Several nutrients in watermelon are good for your hair and skin. Some help keep skin supple while others protect against sunburn.
- Fiber and water are important for healthy digestion. Watermelon contains both.
Watermelon is a surprisingly healthy fruit. It has a high water content and also delivers many other important nutrients, including lycopene and vitamin C. These nutrients mean that watermelon isn’t only a tasty low-calorie treat — it’s also very good for your health.